Form and List 06.00.01 released
Form and List is now available in version 06.00.01. It is a maintenance update, fixing a few issues reported on 6.0.0, which was missed to announce here.
What is Form and List?
Form and List evolved from a simple list module, called User Defined Table. A list is basically a table, where all columns share the same data type: simple strings, numbers, html, or complex types for calculations and file treatments. Each type has its own capabilities and settings. Usually a list is small and consists only out of a smaller set of items. It is designed for few hundreds, but certainly not for millions of items in mind.
A list can be rendered as a simple table, or it can be mapped to totally different kinds of layouts with the help of XSL-transformations. Don't be afraid of XSL, a token based editor helps you for the first steps.
The item editor can be set as the primary view which allows simple forms. Notifications can be send for insert, update and delete actions. In short, Form and List allows you to create simple apps, and I have seen amazing implementations in the past.
What's new in 6.0?
Form and List 6.0 should feel comfortable in DotNetNuke 6, most changes happened with the new capabilities in mind, making is easier to use and more attractive.
- DNN 6 Form Patterns including modal PopUps and Tabs
- DST (Daylightsaving) support for following data types: DateTime, CreatedAt, ChangedAt
- Uses new FileManager API for XSLT scripts and following data types: Url, Download, Image
- Usage of Telerik Controls for Date andTime
- Some JQuery candy: changing of field order with drag'n'drop, new editor for multiple field values
- Multi value option for data type 'Text'
- Support of Icon API
- Update 25.06 :
Scripts now compatible with SQL Azure
- Form is now WAI compliant
- Moved module wide data type settings (e.g. thumbnail height/width) directly to data type
- New field settings (similar to module settings) facilitate more special settings by type.
- Rendering methods are now reduced to DataGrid and XSLT. The option for predefined XSLT scripts was removed. The old scripts are no longer delivered with the module. If an existing instance still uses an old script, the script will be copied into the portal (folder XslStylesheet/UDT Legacy).
- Source has been converted to C#
Changes to 6.0.1:
- Icons are shown in module action buttons (work around to core issue with IconAPI)
- Fix to Token2XSL Editor, changing List type raised exception
- MakeTumbnail and ShowXml handlers had been missing in install package
- Updated help texts for better understanding of filter statement, token support in email subject and css style
I would like to thank everybody who provided feedback for all official release and release candidates on codeplex. It would not have been possible without you.
For 6.1, I am thinking of a few performance improvements for lists with more than a few 100 records, templatable forms and implementing content item (base for any taxonomy or even social features)
If anyone is interested in helping, please don't hesitate to contact me.
If you have a request for the Form and List module, enter it in the issue list on CodePlex and get some votes! Only the issues and requests for enhancements and new features that are entered in our project page on CodePlex will received our attention.
My personal blog on DotNetNuke.